Many people see the dog harness as the most humane and the safest way to have a dog secured especially when you take it to a walk or any outdoor activity.
The way the harness works makes it hard to disagree to that idea because anyone can see that the dog looks quite comfortable with it. Moreover, this type of doggie accessory also causes less pain and choking than most dog collars.
But there are a few things to consider when purchasing this product. Dog harnesses come in different styles, and you need to see to it that the one you choose suits your pet’s bodily form and size.
Using a harness that’s not compatible with your pet’s physical attributes may cause chaffing and discomfort to your pet side of the possible problem that it can put you into.
As a dog owner, here are some fact about the dog harness that you should know:
- Harnesses are good for dogs that have small or sensitive throats. They are also very beneficial for canines that have difficulty breathing with collars.
- They work effectively in canines that have flat facial features. These animals, most of which belong to the brachycephalic breed, easily develop respiratory problems if their throat and neck are subjected to too much pressure.
- Harnesses can be necessary for walking miniature dog breeds. Little canines need tender handling. They easily get injured and their esophagus and trachea could have damaged if you put collars around their necks.
- They can give you better control over your pet especially if you are walking with large or hyperactive dogs.
- A harness is the best accessory to use on dogs that have not been trained to go out in public places.
Now that you know some of the good facts about the harness, it’s time for you to discover its negative aspects. These are:
- Unlike the collar, a harness can be worn by your pet only when you take it out for a stroll. It also takes time to be mounted and taken off.
As you can see, the harness has more benefits than disadvantages. You should take this as an indication of its positive effects. If you are planning to use this accessory for your pet, you should know how to put it on and remove it when no longer needed.
Make your pet comfortable with it by letting it wear it around your house a few times before you actually take it out for a walk on it.
Do not use the harness as a holder of your pet’s identification and other tags. Place the tags in a light collar that your dog can wear around his neck.
How to Choose the Right Harness
A canine hatred should be durable and big or small enough for the size of you pet. If possible, do not go for styles that are overly decorated with buckles; they could be too heavy or distracting for your pet. Always make sure that it is secure yet comfortable on your furry friend, whatever his size may be.
To see it that your pet is comfortable with his harness, make sure that it has enough space to allow proper breathing and ease of movement.
Source : https://www.animalonic.com/2019/11/15/important-dog-harness-facts-and-how-to-choose-the-right-one/